Where can I get a Payment Gateway?
Payment gateways are usually offered by a merchant service provider. Normally they come standard with a merchant account, there may or may not be fees associate with using a payment gateway. Before you sign up for a merchant account be sure to ask if it includes a payment gateway among other things.
Most gateways allow multiple ways to send transactions.
- Credit Card Terminals - Normally used in a POS environment.
- Batch - Some merchants will close out at the end of the day and send them all at once.
- API's - Used for e-commerce allows an instant response for a transaction.
Some payment gateways do more than just process transactions. Here are some additional features offered by some gateways.
- Identity Verification - check on a customers address, drivers lic. etc.
- AVS - Address Verification Systems check a customers address matches their credit card.
- Check Verification - Can be used to verify if a checking account is closed, frozen, etc.